Monday, July 27, 2015

Hypothesis tested...
Yesterday's hypothesis was that, if I fished closer to the margin and sat further back from the bank so as not so spook my wary quarry, I stood a good chance of attracting a dozen or so carp to my baited area, where, hopefully, a feeding frenzy would ensue, enabling me to maybe catch a fish or two.
Tonight around 7 PM I was able to revisit yesterday's fishing spot and test that hypothesis. This time I fished close to shore (6-10 feet out) in pretty shallow water (about 2' deep). I created a chummed area, then placed my float rig in the midst. I sat some 6-8 feet back from the water's edge to avoid spooking carp that might be interested in mopping up the corn in my chummed spot. I also tried feeding off the turtles by catapulting floating trout chow down and to the right. Over the course of doing this repeatedly for an hour or so, I saw plenty of turtles feasting on the floating pellets, and I also saw some large swirls that looked like either carp or channel cats (or both) feeding off the top.
I caught two or three sliders before I got a take that proved to be a carp. A nice fight on my 6 ft. 6 inch Ugly Stik and 12 lb. test mono. I netted my prize, unhooked it, snapped a couple quick pix, then released it to fight another day.
4 lb. 8 oz. with boot for size reference

4 lb. 8 oz. of golden beauty!

After another turtle or two, I got another carp take--sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, but, generally, carp are usually much more decisive in their takes. The turtles make the float bob up and down, they take it slightly under, and, if it moves, it does so slowly. When a carp takes, the float may jiggle or bob a bit, but then it usually starts moving off pretty quickly! I fought this second fish for a few seconds before the hook pulled. I must say, when fishing with #6 hooks and hair rigs, I rarely suffer a hook pull. Since I have been float fishing using the #10 Kamasan "Animal" hooks, I seem to get a lot more hook pulls. Unfortunately, when I have used the larger hooks and hair rigs in this lake, the number of pickups seems to decrease tremendously. Today I ordered some more hooks: Korda Kranks in sizes 8 and 10, and some more Kamasan "Animal" hooks in sizes 12 and 14. I have been wanting to experiment with the smaller sizes using a single kernel of sweet corn. Also, recalling my earlier spring float fishing, I used a lot of #10 Kranks and I don't believe I had many, if any, hook pulls while using those.
I fished until after dark, this being facilitated by a neat piece of tackle. The Drennan puddle chucker floats I am using have removable inserts, which, for daytime use, are normally painted bright orange or yellow. They also make inserts that glow in the dark called "Starlights". Tonight I broke open a pack, bent the insert to activate the chemicals that mix together to make the glow, and inserted it in my float. It fit perfectly, and was surprisingly bright. I had absolutely no trouble seeing it well, even in complete darkness. Nifty bit of kit, these!
Fished until a turtle chewed my hooklink, taking my hook with him/her at about 9:15 PM. I would say that the hypothesis tested well, except that there is no real fix for the turtle problem. They, like Shelob in Tolkien's "Return of the King", are always hungry--they must feed!
I am also curious to try the same location (margins), but maybe fish with a bolt rig/hair rig and see how that affects my catches and if doing so will reduce the number of hook pulls. Stay tuned; more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment