Saturday, August 1, 2015

I had pretty low expectations, and they were fully met!
Just finished up a short session (6 AM to 9AM) at one of the lakes where the 20-pounders swim. I fished three rods with semi-bolt rigs (1 oz. egg sinkers with a split shot squeezed on about a foot up the line) and blow back rigs on #6 Korda Long Shank X hooks under Polaris floats for bite indication and as markers for catapulting chum corn. Bait was prepped field corn tipped with popup maize on two rods, and an Evolution Carp Tackle corn stack and maggot cluster on the third. Fished one wide left, one in the middle, and one wide right, all about 30 feet or so offshore, just where the bottom levels out to 14 feet deep. Catapulted about three pouchfuls over each float to start, then about a 1/2 pouchful every fifteen minutes or so. Never got a run. I did have something messing about with the left rod for awhile--the float was bobbing a bit--this turned out to be a turtle. I could see a lot of bubbling around and just past my floats, which was where I was chumming, which was encouraging, but no one ever found the hookbaits. I had a nice, cool morning (mid-70s, I'd guess) and a shady spot from which to fish.
Provided I can actually catch from this spot, it's a nice location in the early morning hours. I have caught some nice low and mid doubles here in years past in the early spring. Summer on this lake is a toughie--many past blanks.
I also fished a fourth rod just on the other side of a bank-side tree. This one was really close in--about five feet off shore. Same bait and chum fished under a loaded puddle chucker. No margin action this time. I saw lots of swirls, bait fish, and other fishy signs all around. Looking forward to trying here again when I have time for a longer session. If I'd had more time to prep last night, I would have mixed up some Panko/Oats pack bait and fished the method, but I'll have to try that approach on another visit. Tried out my newly-acquired Fox large rucksack for the first time. I was easily able to fit all of my boilies and Demon jumbo corn (together enough to fill a small fridge) in it with room and compartments to spare. Looking forward to putting it to more use! My next piscatory opportunity may be Sunday afternoon...we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment