Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Carper--An Unexpected Journey! 

Yesterday after getting home and doing a couple chores, I had about an hour of light left. Back to carp cove. Planned to fish on the float with the ultralight rig. Upon my arrival, there were a half dozen kids at the cove's end, screaming, jumping, and, in general, being normal kids. I set up maybe thirty feet down from them, with pretty low expectations; this swim is shallow--about 18 inches--and the carp are very spooky. Within seconds, they were surrounding me, plying me with questions. They asked about my golf ball-sized Panko-Oats chum balls--they liked the smell of the cinnamon therein. They enjoyed squeezing and smashing the prepped field corn between their thumb and forefinger--everyone wanted a go at it. They loved my catapult, and promptly took it and began shooting various harmless things in it. They were all crowded in so close (mere inches!) that I had to ask them to move back so I could cast out. I was really hoping to get a fish on so one (or more) of them could feel the thrill of playing a big (at least, compared to bluegills!) fish. Unfortunately, no takes were forthcoming while they were there--about 10-15 more minutes. After they left, I eventually got a take and landed a feisty 3 or 4-pounder. Even though I didn't get the quiet tranquility I was expecting, I enjoyed my interaction with these inquisitive, energetic children. We never know what unexpected adventures await us...

No comments:

Post a Comment